Thursday, September 29, 2011

3 Weeks WB

Today marks 3 weeks WB for me.  I feel like I have been making steady progress and I have been trying to find the balance of overdoing it vs not doing enough.  My PT scolded me the other day for walking too much with a cane instead of a crutch.  And although my swelling is much less, she told me persistent swelling was not good in the long-run and to slow down.  Hard for a guy like me!  I am down to 2 sessions of PT per week and have scheduled thru the end of October.  I'll see where I am from there.   I am completely in shoes now - my sneakers for the Gym, work dress shoes and my docksiders.  I have been walking around the house in "flip flops" and have been trying more and more to be barefoot.  I also walk more and more without the cane - kind of a waddle really, but less of a limp.  It's been raining the last few days - so my knees have been hurting.  Otherwise, I feel like I could walk at a pretty good clip without a limp.  Ankle pain gone, little bit of foot pain, some swelling, and increased ankle flexibility.  I actually tried the Elliptical in the Gym today and felt like I could do it.  Since I have PT Friday am I decided against it - I did not want to show up in PT and have her "yell" at me again.  She already thinks I am a handful.  Monday, she had me doing some balance exercises on the bad foot - whoa - that was tough!  She seems a bit amazed at my progress.  Goal was to be full WB in 4 weeks.  I am 2 weeks ahead of my surgeon's orders.

So my goals now - Continue to progress, Don't hurt myself because I did something stupid, attend the Sugarland concert in Mohegan Sun in 2 weeks with no cane and no pain!

G

8 comments:

  1. Hi Glenn.

    I read your post and felt invigorated at your confidence and outlook. I got pumped and proceeded to do the hopscotch in front of my wife and children, just out of the blue. A couple WTF looks from my wife and children was followed by a verbal tongue lashing. All I heard was music. I am still standing. Keep up the good work. It's a wild ride (good and bad).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds positively awe-inspiring. I am starting to feel a bit more like myself. But I am still pretty slow-moving, and cautious. Your progress is outstanding. Keep it balanced and keep going.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nucklehead, you are funny! Way to go! I read your last post about the "new reality", and totally agree - I know I'll never be like I was before my injury, but I am not going to stop trying to get there! Sissie - Glad you are starting to feel like yourself again. Slow and steady but moving forward! G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Glen. Humor is always a good thing. And BTW, I am by no means implying we will never get back to where we were before this injury. It is totally possible. I was merely suggesting to set small achievable interim goals, so not to set yourself up for failure and feel totally defeated. That was an important lesson I had to learn. Regardless, I have a good feeling you will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently, continual swelling can produce permanent nerve damage..so I can see why the PT person would ask you to slow down! The Elliptical is really amazing for starting to get aerobic ability back. And isn't the balancing exercise frustrating! You can get it back! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am soooooo envious !
    You have done so well Glenn. Not like impetuous me....... What does impress me is the level of focussed PT that you seem to get in the US.
    When I was able to go to physio, It was all very gentle, no gym, no exercise bikes. Just lots of deep tissue massage, manipulation & toe scrunching.
    Anyway this is an inspiring read, so when I've recovered from fracturing my metatarsals for the 2nd time I shall continue following you & will take encouragement from how well you have done.
    I did manage NWB in my MBT's (fit flop trainers) for around 3 weeks but limped badly. My second attempt will be better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fractalfoot - The elliptical is my favorite GYM item. When I was in post-op - I told my surgeon that aside from walking, I wanted to still be able to use that machine! I am not much of a runner due to my knees being shot from playing football as a kid - so no loss there!

    G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma - Given that my insurance pays for a certain amount of PT visits per year, it may be a little different. They still do the foot massage and electro stim. But they also focus me on a lot of balance type exercises. I also go to my local GYM 4 days per week - which I only started getting back to when I was WB. That I pay on my own dime. In the US, GYMs are fairly reasonable - you can get a membership to a fully equipped GYM for 19.99 USD per month. THen things like certain classes or a personal trainer are added on.

    I hope you heal quickly so you can make some of your planned trips over here. Assume you are not coming this week?

    G

    ReplyDelete