Thursday, September 8, 2011

WB!

No - Not that crappy fake TV Network (Does anybody remember the WB?)  Weight Bearing!  I had my 10.5 week X-ray and appointment with my surgeon.  X-Rays looked good.  After a short visit, he prescribed PT and gave me a cane.  Instructions are PWB 25% progress to FWB - no time limit - I guess on my own.  Wean off boot - 1-2 weeks, wean off crutches next 4 weeks, transition to cane - 4-6 weeks.

His caution - I'll start to feel pain again - you all have told me that - so I am prepared.....  Got home - and tried to put weight on the foot with the boot on and walked across the house (with crutches of course)  - felt totally alien - but good to try!  Any pain seemed to come from the ankle not the foot.

All and all - I feel like I have made some great progress today.  I know I have a long way to go.  He also said I can sleep without the boot (FINALLY!!) and I can use the pool and hot tub.  He never mentioned going bare foot - I guess I'll ask the PT, AND he said I should transition to regular shoes - did not mention orthotics or rocker sole - so again, curious what my PT will tell me.

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!  

2 comments:

  1. Boy, have I been there. My ankle hurt worse than my foot. I did lots of ankle rotating, wrote the alphabet with my foot. You might want to start doing leg lifts. I was given 3 sets of 10 and grew from there. I've seen them on youtube. One is laying on the bed with your foot hanging off. Then you just lift it a little bit. Next was the what I called the pocket leg lift. Lay on your good side. Bend the good leg. Here's the tricky part. You have to line your bad foot leg up with the rest of your body, it feels like it's behind you. You are doing it right if you feel the muscle under your back pocket. Front lifts with good leg bent -- they say you get a better result that way. The last one, fanny lift, is using your heels and shoulders to lift your fanny off the bed. These shouldn't bother your foot in any way. But after having no exercise for your legs, it's long and hard to get the muscle tone back.
    One more thing, when you do pt, pay attention to your pain. Let it control the intensity of what you are doing. Otherwise it can be back to square one.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Sissie! Well, all weekend still trying to walk on the foot with crutches as much as possible. Also been just moving my toes and ankle - rotating and back and forth - trying to limber up before PT tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete