Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Things I am learning

 - Going to WB is not a 'switch' you don't just ditch the crutches, kneewalker overnight
- Same with the boot.  I may get into shoes for a few hours (not yet but soon) - but I'll be back in the boot
- Even though I pretty much keep my foot down all the time - PT tells me I should elevate a couple of times a day
- Some of the PT home exercises - towel scrunch - very hard to do after only a couple of days - frustrating!
- Pretty much a given according to my PT that I will not be able to walk bare foot for a long time   That stinks for a guy who pretty much goes barefoot and sock-less unless he has to.

G

2 comments:

  1. I hated the boot. It made my knee hurt -- I don't know why. So as soon as my doc gave the ok, it was off. The pt folks wanted me to use it, but the knee thing started and the boot made it worse. I don't think it hindered or helped my progress. Barefoot, for me, is a thing of the past. My doctor says never should my bare foot touch the ground. But my injury was pretty severe. I'm back in the classroom, teaching my third graders. I can walk without the cane indoors, but it's still a must outside. Uneven surfaces (and an occasional startling pain) can throw me out of balance. So far, the pain isn't too bad. At first it was a killer. Now, not so much. I do go home and elevate for awhile.
    I bet you will be back to barefeet before you know it ... just think how long you were nwb. What that was like, it cheers me up every time.
    I'm happy for you,
    Sissie
    PS beautiful pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comments on the Pics Sissie! I post them to remind myself and others that there is more to life than just our injury. The two pics were taken by my kids from my boat at different harbors. The top pic was actually taken the night of my injury - I think she was trying to get the stars coming out for the evening. My kids ask me if I feel funny viewing pics from that fateful weekend and I tell them no. It was a great weekend up until the moment of the accident and I don't let that ruin the memory of the day! You must have your hands full corralling third graders! Wow! Hats off to you.

    G

    ReplyDelete