Thursday, September 15, 2011

2nd Therapy Session

Well, it has been 1 week since I got the all clear to start WB.  I have been into the Gym now several times and started using the bike - peddled 4 miles with the boot on.  A bit cumbersome but at least I worked up a sweat.  Also back to weight training with my trainer once a week.  My second visit to PT today consisted of her putting me on the bike with my street shoes on vs. the boot.  She then had me walk with a single crutch with my shoes on!  At one point I walked across the PT center unaided, nothing, no crutch, no cane - My PT jokingly told me I was "a handful" LOL!  I then went up some stairs, she did a deep foot massage, I got a shot at the toys in the bucket and pulled 5 out, and then towel scrunches.  She finished up with the electric shock therapy (on my foot not my head ;-)  )    So in one week I went from NWB to PWB to FWB.  Even if it is for short bursts of time I am very happy with the results.   My goal now is to ditch the boot and the crutches.  Keep the cane around for awhile and try to go solo.   **Caution - individual results may vary - for those of you reading this still NWB.  Everybody's injury is different.  I also have a high tolerance for pain - Put it this way - NONE of this was comfortable, in fact, it hurts like heck to hobble around even with the cane - and my foot is pretty swollen now.  My PT advised me to do this in short spurts and to keep the crutches and boot handy when I am out of the house - as I will most likely need to revert to them from time to time.

G

4 comments:

  1. Hi Glenn,

    Congrats on the PT. When I first started, I pushed myself until I was exhausted. Looking back, it was a mistake as I aggravated my foot. This injury is a long journey so take it slow. It's difficult to accept this as men, but alongside a positive attitude, patience is equally as important. I just went to my 24th PT session today.

    It's never a good idea to limp and tolerate the pain, even if it's at home. If your PT told you to do this, then find another PT. Use your crutches and slowly transition to FWB. Otherwise, you will hurt your ankle, knee, hip and back because you have an asymmetric gait. This will slow your recovery. Keep in mind, professional athletes with this injury take 12 months before they can start playing their sport again.

    BTW, please let your wife read this because only my wife was able to knock some sense into me :). Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nucklehead - I respect your experience as I sit here this early crisp fall morning having a cup of coffee. I went to bed last night with just my cane and slip on swim shoes. I got up to go to the bathroom and barely could walk! Mistake not taking my crutches upstairs! This am - was painful getting back down the stairs to the crutches. I did let 'the boss' read this and she gave me the I told you so - you should listen to this guy ;-) Thank you - I'll slow it down! Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar experience. I so wanted to get better that I would push myself past the tolerance level. Truly, I think I was so excited about getting back on my feet, I didn't feel the pain. Until it was too late. My knee, which was fine before the surgery, started acting up. My other leg, foot, knee, and hip started complaining too. I was sidelined from pt for three weeks to a month. I wish I would have listened to some of this kind of advice sooner.
    Surprisingly, when I made myself go slower, progress was faster and long lasting.
    Still, I am happy for your progress. You are doing great. Be careful and stay healthy.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sissie - Going a bit slower. Ankle pain still there but much more tolerable. G

    ReplyDelete