Thursday, September 1, 2011

1 More Week NWB

Well today marks the 1 week mark till my next visit with the Orthopedic Surgeon.  As of Sunday I will have been 10 weeks NWB.  In some respects, it seems like yesterday that I had my injury, and in many respects, I don't remember what it is like to walk on my own, or run, or go up and down stairs, or do simple things.  In 10 weeks, I have tried to live a 'normal' life.  I have strained the family and friends with all the physical stuff I used to do, tried to get to work and get out, and tried to enjoy life, family and friends as if nothing is wrong.  I am tired of telling my story to complete strangers - and getting that 'pity' look when they see me coming.  I am tired of providing the free advertising for the knee walker.  Many many people have asked me where I got it - and commented on how it looks like fun - yea right!  I have fallen twice, once that really scared me, suffered a root canal, a Hurricane and 4 days without electricity, (yes I had a generator - but it was no fun crutching down to the garage at 4am to fill the genny with gas :-) + no hot water!)  and the normal ups and downs that life brings.  Stuff breaks, needs maintained, etc.  I hate hopping around when crutches and knee walker are not around, I dread showers, I dread stairs, curbs, ramps, hills, low pressure systems (swelling), long car rides, parking lots, cracks in pavement, uneven floors, getting out of bed to go to the bathroom, dressing in work clothes, swelling, dry flaky, itchy skin.  A few times, and notably when on pain medication, I nearly lost it.   This injury is NOT for the weak at heart.  You really need to approach it with a positive attitude and patience - it is a MUST.

Having said all that, I have learned a few things.  It is not so bad to rely on the kindness of family, friends, or strangers.  Its very nice to have the ability to post my thoughts on this blog - and hopefully, many who read this can relate - or find some connection, solace, advice, or interest in what I have experienced.  I REALLY appreciate what permanent or temporary disabled folks go thru - and I will have a lot more empathy for everybody.  and finally, I REALLY REALLY appreciate the gift that I had been given - the ability to walk - un-aided, without pain, without thought.   Now - I long to have that back.

So - I go into my 'final' week NWB - before therapy, with a new set of questions - that I hope to answer - thru my fellow journeyman (and woman), and thru my own experience...

1. After 10 weeks NWB - will my final X-ray before WB be OK?  Did I mess something up when I fell on my bad foot 3 weeks ago?

2. What will it feel like to put weight on this after so long?

3. How long will I be in this now very smelly boot?

4. When do I get to transition to those really cool sexy rocker bottom shoes (sketchers?) BTW - Amazing how Madison Avenue can put shapely models into a pair of these and make them appear sexy.  And - how many men would not be caught dead in these unless they had to be - and I hope I don't offend anybody here.  But not my style.

5. When can I wear my docksiders and walk barefoot again?  Will I have to purchase 2 different size work shoes?   (I guess this is the point that the woman ask - when can they wear heels again if ever ;-)  )

6. Will I walk with a limp?

7. When will I walk with 100 percent weight on my bad foot?

8. When can I do Cardio again so I can start losing some of the 5-8 lbs I think I have gained.

9.  How long will it take my chicken leg to look normal again?

Anyway - Long post of reflection.  We got power back today.  Many 1000s in CT still without power and another Hurricane churning in the Atlantic.   Life moves on......  I plan to move on with it...

Stay positive, life and time does move forward, and hopefully so do we.

Unless I do something stupid before next Thursday, I will not post until my next visit to the surgeon.

G


5 comments:

  1. 1. After 10 weeks NWB - will my final X-ray before WB be OK? Did I mess something up when I fell on my bad foot 3 weeks ago?

    I would put my money that the fall did not damage anything.


    2. What will it feel like to put weight on this after so long?

    Your foot will feel alien to you. When it touches ground for the first time, it will be super sensitive. Pins and needles, burning, aching, sharp pains. These are all normal. Try not to freak out like most people do.

    3. How long will I be in this now very smelly boot?

    Probably four weeks.

    4. When do I get to transition to those really cool sexy rocker bottom shoes (sketchers?) BTW - Amazing how Madison Avenue can put shapely models into a pair of these and make them appear sexy. And - how many men would not be caught dead in these unless they had to be - and I hope I don't offend anybody here. But not my style.

    Its pretty standard you can transition to a stiff soled shoe after four weeks of WB in your cam walker boot. I cried for a week when I bought my MBTs. I am not fashion conscious either. They just remind me that I have a bad foot.

    5. When can I wear my docksiders and walk barefoot again? Will I have to purchase 2 different size work shoes? (I guess this is the point that the woman ask - when can they wear heels again if ever ;-) )

    I am four months and still do not walk barefoot, unless its from my bedroom to my bathroom. It also depends on the extent of your injury. I had to go up one width in shoe size for my bad foot and bear with wearing a looser shoe on my good foot.

    6. Will I walk with a limp?

    I ask this everyday. I am still limping barefoot, discomfort and minor pain when walking with New Balance hiker shoes and almost no limp with my MBTs. I can walk pretty fast now. However, I still worry about this everyday and the anxiety and depression is affecting my life as much as the bad foot (if not more).

    7. When will I walk with 100 percent weight on my bad foot?

    I am still using a cane, although I was able to put 100% weight on my bad foot after about six weeks.

    8. When can I do Cardio again so I can start losing some of the 5-8 lbs I think I have gained.

    You can probably start biking, swimming and weight lifting as soon as you are WB. I wouldn't jog or do anything high impact until 8 months, but ask your surgeon to be sure.

    9. How long will it take my chicken leg to look normal again?

    Typically it takes twice as long WB to gain your muscle back when you are not weight bearing, but that doesn't take into account that you cant work out too hard for for the first 4 to 8 weeks. So I am thinking it will take you anywhere between 20 to 30 weeks to get the leg looking almost as good as the good leg.

    I understand how frustrating it is when you are NWB. However, I think the rehab phase is way more frustrating because I am used to quick results. This injury does not play nice with that mentality. Improvements take a long time to happen. Be patient, be positive, and focus on little gains. You may not notice improvments, but those who see you infrequently will (like your doctor). For example, I just went to a birthday party last week and the people there didn't even notice my injured foot. That was because most of the people that were invited weren't aware I had surgery. I take this as a positive sign. I hope my words help you. Good luck and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Knucklehead! Good sage advice. Some encouraging and some scary. I hope things keep improving for you - I'd like to see you post on my blog in six months or my 1 year anniversary that you are 99.9% back to normal.

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to your questions -- My xray was fine, even though I thought I'd broken two toes. And no one said anything about arthritis

    My foot felt wonderful. No pain. My doctor told me to walk, twice. I was amazed. My ankle killed me. But my foot felt great. Start doing those abc's to loosen up the ankle.

    As soon as I got the green light for wb and pt, I gave up the boot. No one told me I had to wear it and it hurt my knee. I spent my first night walking from room to room with a walker for balance. And my foot and knee killed me the next few days.

    My doc recommended new balance and at home I can wear birkenstocks. He told me my bare foot should never touch the floor. Maybe after a year or two in the tennies, I can move onto other shoes. My injury was pretty bad, bones shattered into powder.

    My shoe size is the same. I did change from tie shoes to velcro. When my foot would swell, the laces would hurt -- now I just loosen or tighten the velcro. I have also found wearing one of those special stretchy socks help.

    6. Will I walk with a limp?

    Ok, I've been wbat (wb as tolerated) since Easter. I feel pretty confident walking around the house. When it really hurts I use the cane. I always use it outside (sometimes I just carry it) I'm scared I might lose my balance and bite the pavement. My pt tells me I'm not limping at all. But I do, especially when I'm tired.

    7. When will I walk with 100 percent weight on my bad foot?

    I sort of messed up on this, and started walking right away (with the walker or cane.) My foot didn't hurt then. I kept pushing myself in pt and it ended up delaying my progress. It's better to be slow as you go. In my hurry to get better, I ended up hurting my knee. which hadn't had any exercise for the 5 mons. of non weight bearing. Ir has taken a long time to get my muscles back.

    Just being able to get around helps with weight loss. Cardio?
    You may be able to use the stationary bike. This didn’t hurt my foot at all the first time I tried it -- I only did 10 minutes. But it felt good.

    I know, my leg and foot was so gross! My doc told me to wear long socks to bed for awhile because the skin just keeps rolling off. Drove my daughter and me crazy. But it was great getting that cast off. My legs seem the same to me pretty much.

    So my advice is to take your time and carefully monitor your pain during pt. The no pain no gain rule does not apply here. My foot still hurts, more like it's sore. I'm mapping it daily so I can give my doctor good info. I'm praying that it will keep getting better, and it does. The pace is so miniscule I don't see it.I didn’t notice I stopped using my walker to get from hither to yon until someone brought it to my attention during pt. Now I will forget to use my cane and not think about my foot.
    I do still celebrate every time I do something I hadn't been able to do.
    Your posting brings back the memories of those long days. I wasn't in pain then, I am now. But I'm happier to be here, than back there.
    Keep your spirits up, it pays off. And pay attention to the pain. Don’t try to rush. And everyone is different.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sissie -Great advice. I wondered whether I'll need a cane. Time will tell. I also can't wait to sleep barefoot without the boot. Hopefully starting Thursday I can! You seem to have come a long way for somebody who had such a bad injury. Keep moving forward! Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just started with new balance today with orthotics. Air cast for 12 weeks. Really hoping the limp will go away. PT next week. Thanks for all the info here- very helpful. Did anyone here do the conservative route and end up with surgery anyway?

    ReplyDelete