Saturday, September 17, 2011

After PT

Well, I overdid it a bit during my first full PT session.  My session yesterday was much more subdued and my foot was pretty swollen from the day before.  I spent most of yesterday NWB and very little PWB.  Foot swelling and ankle pain seems much less today.  I will take it VERY slow this weekend.

Lesson learned - and you can read comments from others on this blog ---

This is a very long term healing process.  Pushing yourself will only aggravate the foot.  Take PWB to WB slow and let your body be the judge of how much you did or did not do.  In my case, it always manifests itself the next morning.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, I had the world's slowest recovery, but I don't have a limp, and I can run! Don't rush it! At the very least, use the cane for balance until your body says you don't need it! By the way, I did nearly all of my PT in bare feet,(except the stationary bike) because that's the way my life is lived, too. Maybe try and have another talk with the therapist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I feel like it's been forever. The day after Thanksgiving...a little trip. Didn't even hurt. Wouldn't have gone to the doctor if a friend didn't push me.
    I celebrate those little moments like today. I was able to navigate some gravelly roads, uneven brick walkways, and slippery slopes. But without my cane I would have fallen into and out of the restroom. It's an old building so I almost bit the strangely shaped floor.
    I appreciated every part of the little trip to a rustic mountain cafe. Now that I have to slow down, I do stop to smell the flowers. No fall colors yet in my part of So Cal.
    Take care,
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! Thanks for the comments. I went back into my walking boot yesterday afternoon to go to a neighbor's backyard party. What a difference! It seemed like the swelling in my foot went down instantly. By Sunday am after sleeping with the foot elevated for much of the night my foot feels and looks better. So on went the boot this am. I will chat with my PT this week to let her know how the weekend progressed. I feel a little more realistic about how long this is going to take. It seemed unrealistic to wean off of the boot completely in 2 weeks after 11 weeks NWB. So now my strategy is to alternate shoes and boot as tolerated. Hope you all have a great week! Glenn

    ReplyDelete