Thursday, September 22, 2011

2 Weeks WB

I hit my first milestone today.  I was supposed to be "weened" off of the boot by today.  This is pretty much true.  I have not worn the boot since Saturday.  I don't have a desire to get back into it.  I continue my PT - pretty much same routine - warmup on bike, flexing exercises, foot massage and then icing and the electro therapy.  Swelling seems to be coming down.  I still get ankle pain if I walk too much full WB and revert to 2 crutches.  I manage more and more on single crutch and cane with an occasional short, very short, walk unaided.  According to my PT, in another 2 weeks, I should be on cane alone if I keep up the pace.  I am back in the gym 4 days a week.  I use the bike for 30mins and then do weights - starting to add some leg work to the routine.   I tried to get back onto the elliptical yesterday and found that my ankle still does not have the flexibility for the motion of the machine.  It was extremely painful and I got off after about three or four revolutions.  Argh!  I'll try it again next week.

Things that come in handy - 1. Advil, 2. elevate at least a couple of times per day, and 3. I discovered icing my foot at home with one of those plastic ice pads you throw in the freezer.  Not sure why I did not start using these sooner!

So somewhere I read somebody's post about telling the difference between 'good' pain - the pain that comes from exercise - sore muscles - that's a good pain.  It seems I mostly have this kind of pain.  I don't have much in the way of 'bad' pain - severe throbbing, jabs and stabs.  I still get the occasional pins and needles, and the ankle pain when WB.  All tend to go away at rest.

I'll keep gently pushing, not over-doing it - I know it's a marathon and not a sprint.

G

No comments:

Post a Comment