Wednesday, October 5, 2011

More of the same - but better

Tomorrow is 4 weeks WB for me.  Knee pain subsiding with the incoming high pressure system.  Little foot pain these days, more flexibility, less swelling - but still there by the end of the day.  Doing the elliptical now more often.  Use the cane very little, walking most of the time with a slight limp still.  Up and down the stairs now "fairly" normal. So what is left?

1. Walking without any limp, never going back to the cane
2. Walking longer distances - and faster!  Right now I can manage short slow spurts without pain
3. Full 30 minutes on the elliptical
4. More grace walking up and down stairs
5. No swelling - HA!  Doubt that will happen anytime soon
6. No weird feelings & sensitivity/numbness on the surface of my foot
7. No popping Advil in the am to mask foot pain
8. Standing / balancing on my bad foot for 30 seconds (PT says that is what a normal person can do)
9. Getting into my "smaller" pair of dress-shoes - my left foot still bigger than my right - and I know this might be forever, but will try!
10. Completing PT - I'll set my sites on the end of November
11. Getting the 2 remaining screws out of my foot - December?

If I can manage all of the above - I'll say I am pretty much recovered.  I'll look at this list in another 3 months - that would be about the 6 month mark.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty reasonable. I would add to that:

    Running at least a short distance at a good clip (different muscles than walking)
    Standing tiptoe with bare foot
    Skipping (not very masculine, but surprisingly hard to do!)

    I am working on hopping in bare feet, but this one is a bit of a way off!

    It's great to see you have such clear goals. Ain't life an adventure with Lisfranc???

    Best wishes with the recovery
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are doing so well! I hope you are able to meet your goals. One of my students kicked the side of my foot and it started this pain. It sort of vibrated across the incision sites and radiated throughout my foot. I put it up, took ibprofen, and limped.
    BTW my pt said I didn't have to use my cane unless I started to limp. She didn't want me practicing walking with a limp.
    Keep up the good work.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chris and Sissie - Yikes a kid kicked your foot? Chris - running and skipping for me are a long way off I think. Standing tip-toe - good goal.

    ReplyDelete