Sunday, August 14, 2011

I took another tumble - Ugh!

I thin I need to slow down.  Ever since I received the knee walker I have been out and about as much as possible, I trundle up and down short flights of stairs on this, thru gravel driveways, thru rocky lawns, sidewalks, the Metro-North train to NYC, the streets of NYC, - you get the picture - and I am not what I would call a dainty guy!  After getting my cast off on Thur we stopped for lunch at a favorite waterside restaurant.  Knapps Landing overlooks the mouth of the Housatonic river which empties into the Long Island Sound.  After a nice lunch I was wheeling down the handicap ramp and the front wheels came off the walker. I caught myself - no big deal.  Called the medical supply company Friday am and they delivered me a new one no questions asked by 3pm.  Yesterday, I got to take my boat with a few friends to Milford CT for lunch.  It was nice to finally get back out on the water - with an experienced crew I had nothing to worry about. Once I navigated the dock ramp I made my way up the hill on the new knee walker.  We get to an intersection and begin to cross the street.  As we are crossing I sort of notice the handlebar is a little loose.  I hit a small crack in the road - my steering wheel goes one way, and I start to fall.  Instinctively, my left foot goes out to catch myself - For an instant, the boot hits the ground - I feel a dull pain from deep in the bone and I throw myself in the opposite direction, falling to the ground in the middle of the street.  My friends and wife are helping me up along with some other passersby.  The knee walker looks broken again!  I am very shaken up at this point.  I hobble to the curb to sit down.  Scared out of my mind that that instant of weight bearing has damaged 7 weeks of healing.  I am waiting for the on-set of pain.  My friend ran back to the boat for tools - and luckily only needed to tighten down the handlebars.  We surmise that the medical supply company did not tighten the handlebars properly.  I have a good mind to call them up and complain - but I'll let it slide.  I was nervous throughout lunch and the rest of the day - waiting for any strange pain.  To my relief - the foot seems to look and feel the same as before.  So I THINK, no damage done.

Has anybody else had a similar oops experience and put weight on their foot during NWB?  What were the effects?

My wife says she now wants to wrap me in a large bubble   LOL!


3 comments:

  1. You'd be surprised how many accidents occur during NWB. I almost had a few myself while crutching on wet kitchen tiles and walking down the stairs. Go see your doctor and explain what happened. And you should really complain to the sales guy. It's totally unacceptable the knee scooter should fall apart like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nucklehead - exactly what my wife said. :-) I was nervous and kept an eye on it - I have no extra symptoms from the spill - so as of now I did not call him. you are right on the scooter - I really could have gotten hurt. But I have to tell you - I am rough on things. So I felt like it was partially my fault on the first scooter. On the second one - They did not tighten well and I should complain. - Take care... I am sure there are more adventures to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's why my doctor told me to stay on the couch with the foot up!

    ReplyDelete