Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cast Away!

I got my cast off today after 6 weeks and 4 days.  Went into X-Ray - My Doc says everything seems to be healing ok.  Afterwords, he pulled the three K-Wires out that were holding my three smaller toes together.  Really, as others have testified, it did not hurt at all. I was then fitted for a boot - which I have to wear non-weight-bearing for another 4 weeks.  This is 2 weeks less than I anticipated.  So overall, I am happy.  The boot, while bigger and bulkier, is a whole lot more comfortable than the cast, and I will be able to take off to shower, but still - no pool, and no sleeping with it off.   Just VERY happy to be progressing.  I can begin to weight bear in 4 weeks - that would put me at 10 weeks.  Seems pretty standard.

Here is a pic of my "walking" boot.  I assume, this will be the boot that I start to weight bear in come Sept.


2 comments:

  1. Lucky ducky. I'm so happy for you. I am coming along. Still working on strength and balance. I was nwb for a really long time. Sounds like everything is going swimmingly. :)
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sissie - I am glad to hear you are doing well. I am still NWB for 4 more weeks. The boot is a lot bulkier than the cast and a little cumbersome to sleep in. My surgeon said no taking off to sleep in - pretty much treating this as a cast. Advantage is that when I swell up I can at least loosen a bit. How long were you NWB? Glenn

    ReplyDelete