Friday, December 30, 2011

My Lisfranc Year in Summary

As 2011 comes to a close, I thought I would summarize my timeline of the injury so people can use as a comparison to their own timeline.

June 25th - Severe Lisfranc Injury, Open wound, major ligament damage
June 26th - Emergency Surgery, ORIF - 3 KWIRES, 2 Screws, Soft Cast
June 28th - Discharge from Hospital
10 days post surgery - wound check, hard cast on, came off narcotic pain killers
16 days post surgery came off of self administered blood clot medicine
3 weeks post surgery sutures came out, re-casted
6 weeks post surgery - hard cast came off, 3 KWIRES Removed in office - walking boot, still NWB
10 weeks post surgery - begin WB
11 weeks post surgery - begin PT
14 weeks post - walking without boot painfully
9 weeks PT - PT ended at 4 month post surgery point
At about the 4 month mark I was at a "new normal".  Could pretty much exercise, walk without pain with the exception of the mornings.  Still had a slight limp though and no range of motion in the foot.
5 months post surgery - WB X-RAYS, scheduled screw removal
6 months post surgery - Screw removal surgery
1 week post 2nd surgery - healing well

So a little after 6 months post surgery, I am walking now without a limp.  My surgical wounds are healing quickly and I have little foot pain.  I have regained most of my range of motion, am able to work out pretty much normally in the Gym.

Happy New Year to all.   I will post again after my January wound check and probably final visit to my surgeon.  I'll then most likely post on my one year anniversary.

5 comments:

  1. It's encouraging to hear how well you are doing, Glenn. It has been a year since my surgery -- I see my doctor next week. I know what you mean about the early morning foot pain/stiffness. I find if I do a couple of stretches before getting out of bed, I have little or no pain.
    I have been put on the gym program at the pt center. My pt says my range of motion probably won't change much. She said I would benefit from the strengthening exercises.
    I still get tired and sore if I stand in one place for a long time (doesn't hurt during, but it does after). I'm working on increasing my walking.
    I signed up for a course of massage therapy, and I couldn't believe how much it helps. She was the one to show me the resistance stretches.
    Happy New Year!
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sissie - Happy New Year to you! I hope your progress increases in 2012! We all want to have a full range of motion to run from the Apocalypse coming at the end of 2012 (LOL!) So this course in massage therapy - is that to allow you to self massage your foot? That could be interesting to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me laugh a long time! A merry heart is good medicine. Thanks, Glenn.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your timeline is great! I think I should do one, because I have to go back and look over my old posts when people ask questions. You probably will find it useful in the future! Keep on working and massaging the foot!

    ReplyDelete