Sunday, January 1, 2012

Slight Setback -- Infection

My surgical scars oozed blood for the first couple of days.  Given that they tell you that you can weight-bear as tolerated, you can put a lot of pressure on the incisions given that your foot bears all of your weight.  They also tell you that you can keep the wounds uncovered - so I did.  Showered second day after surgery as suggested.  The wound site always looked a little puffy, red and inflamed - as I assumed it would.

Well 10 days post surgery my family keeps telling me the wounds are infected - I say Nah!  So yesterday I wake up and do some Google searches on wound infection pictures - and I see a surgical scar that is indicated is infected and it looks just like mine!  So at that point my stubborn brain realizes that it might actually be the start of infection.  I called my surgeon and got the on-call surgeon for the medical group to call me back.  I describe the symptoms and he calls me in a prescription for an anti-biotic.  So now I am on Cephalexin  4 times daily for 5 days.  I tell myself the wounds look a little less red this am.

Lesson learned...    Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! Be careful and finish all of your medication. I hope it's not painful. Still you are doing a speedy recovery. Take care, and Happy New Year!
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete