Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Screws Out!

Today was my big day.  Arrived at Yale New HAven Hospital at 630 am.  Waited around thru admitting and got into hospital gown and into surgery at 815am.  I opted for full anesthesia vs. the Knee block.  They told me even with the knee block there was a good chance they would put me under anyway.  Essentially, the knee block was really for post-operative pain. (I wish I had that for the first surgery)  I came to in post-op feeling pretty good and exited the hospital by 10:30am.  Aside from a bit of a sore throat from the breathing tube I really had no foot pain.  Went to lunch and then came home to sleep off the rest of the anesthesia.

I have been home now for several hours and it's now around 4pm.  No pain, and I have been walking around the house without crutches.   So far, the experience of having the screws out has been a non-event!  I have a sock on over my bandages - so I cannot tell if my foot is swollen or what my sutures look like.   Will see later.

1 comment:

  1. Having surgery to remove my hardware (3 screws) in 5 days. I'm a bit anxious, but everyone tells me it is a non-event...I still have some swelling, so I am hoping this surgery will help with that and will get me back to 100% normal... or close to it anyway.
    Thanks for all your posts. It has helped me gauge where I am and where I can hope to be... (I am now just under 4-months post-1st surgery.)

    ReplyDelete