Friday, July 22, 2011

Sutures Out!

Finally, my stitches came out.  Went to the outpatient facility at Yale Hospital yesterday to have the stitches taken out.  Once the cast was off, I was able to get a good look at my foot.  Not too bad really.  My surgeon personally removed my stitches.  I thought it was going to be painful but really only felt an occasional pinch - sort of like somebody snapping a small rubber band on my foot.  Surgeon said my foot was healing very well and he was pleased with my progress.   Back into a cast I went - for three more weeks.  So I will have spent 7 weeks in the hard cast once it comes off.  At that time, he said he would remove my three K-wires and do an X-ray to check healing progress.   It looks like I would be non-weight bearing in a orthotic boot for another 6 weeks after that.  So, no weight bearing until at least October 1st is my guess.  That would be a full 3 months.  No mention of PT just yet so I will just hang in there.    Good news is I am getting out more.  Actually in the office twice this week.  I'll continue to increase my activity as the foot permits and try to live life vs put life on hold.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you had your stitches out, I hope they put a good dollop of moisturiser on your foot before putting the new cast on. My skin dried out so much & flaked horribly :( Actually now I'm back in bandages for another three weeks & back to bathing with my foot hanging over the edge I'm expecting it to do the same The itching was a nightmare too.
    You sound incredibly positive Glenn, which is great. It took me a long time to feel positive, my surgeon was so cautious with his prognosis I didn't really have anything I could look forward to because it was unknown.
    Anyway these days I'm counting down the days & trying to get my life back to normal at every opportunity. I totally empathise with you about having to put jobs on hold & needing so much help. I got someone in to weed my garden & chop things back 6 weeks ago, but now it's back to looking like a scene from Day of the Triffids ! I had to get a cleaner in a couple of weeks ago to help with some of the jobs that I just can't do. Problem is I've discovered that she doesn't like heights ! So anything above head height has had to stay dusty either until I persuade someone else or I'm well enough to stand on a chair :) Actually she was here today, I have to say that she did do a wonderful job, I could get used to employing a cleaner :)
    So I went to the hairdresser's today, which was wonderful & had a drink with a friend on the Pantiles yesterday It's so lovely to be finally able to do a few simple things again, which I did take for granted before the foot !
    I'm back to working from home next week, I needed this week off to get over the op, it took a while to get the pain under control My company won't let me work in the office until I can drive & don't need crutches or the boot. There some problems with their insurance due to health & safety apparently.
    Oh & I've booked a trip to the US for my birthday in October........ I'm hoping by then I'll be walking quite well. So the plan is to fly into NYC for 3 days (it'll be my 3rd time) & then fly to Greensboro to hire a car & drive around the smoky mountains for a week. It'll be the fall & I can't wait to see the colours of the landscapes, black bears, racoons etc.
    Do you know this weekend it'll be 15 weeks since my accident. It's funny in some ways it seems so long ago, but in others it seems to have passed quickly :-)
    So I've managed to polish off 5 Belgian truffles writing this (get well pressie from a good friend)so I'd better sign off before I eat any more !
    Take care & keep up with the good recovery.

    Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emma - I hope you had a great weekend. Thanks for the note. Let me know when you are in NY - I am in NY often on business and it would be great to meet you in person! I hope you are coming with your boyfriend or a friend? Will make the trip that much better. I have never been to Greensboro but I am sure its lovely. You do need to see my native New England in the fall sometime as well. The leaves are gorgeous, along with the pumpkins, cider, smell of wood fires etc. I do try to stay positive and even though I have a long ways to go, I feel somewhat over the hump now in terms of my routine. Glenn

    ReplyDelete