Sunday, July 10, 2011

Over Doing It

Today is 2 weeks since my injury and surgery - since they both happened at the same time.   The med students, interns, residents, and surgeons of Yale must have done something right.  For 2 weeks in, I came off of the prescrips after 1 week, and I have minimal pain.  While I have spend most of my time on the couch with my feet up, I have managed now to get out of the house twice this weekend for lunch.  I even made it down to my boat and managed to climb aboard and spend the afternoon on it with friends and family (just at dock - with me on couch, inside, AC on,  with foot up).  However, I know know the feeling of overdoing it...  It's been hot here in Connecticut, and I find that the injury does not like the heat - I can feel my foot swell from the heat.  Also, crutching around or just getting up and about adds irritation.  Once others find my blog - my BIGGEST question is - How long before you can sit without your leg elevated?   I can deal with the cast, crutches, walker, but I would at least like to rest my foot on the floor vs its own chair all the time!    Last night, my family wanted to go to dinner out - and I really had no energy, plus a throbbing foot to even move off of the couch.  After a nights rest, I am feeling good again - but now know there are some very strict limits...

2 comments:

  1. My surgeon was very conservative and wanted my foot elevated for three months. At three months and three weeks he reluctantly let me return to work ("OK, but you won't like it" was his comment.) However, I was fortunate that I could take off for that long. It certainly kept the swelling down, but I lost a lot of strength in my legs. Now, two years later, the foot rarely bothers me.
    I don't seem to have a link to your blog on mine, so I hope you don't mind if I put one in..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I am glad you found my blog! Wow - Three months! I have been mostly working from home as all I really need is a PC and a phone. But I do need to get to my clients and staff from time to time. I have made it into the office 3 times in the past 5 weeks and plan on increasing as soon as I get in the boot. The worst part is the drive - I can feel my foot swell after about 10 minutes in the car (my left foot - so I can still drive). Once I get to the office I just keep my foot elevated. I am glad to see that 2 years later you are getting along just fine. It is amazing the length of time this thing takes to heal for all of us. Please feel free to include my blog on your blogroll. I have not gotten around to doing that for yours and a few others I have read. Glenn

    ReplyDelete