Friday, November 11, 2011

Surgeon Follow-up

I had my follow-up appointment with my surgeon yesterday.  They took weight bearing X-rays for the first time since I had the injury (all other X Rays were non weight bearing).  My 2 screws are still intact.  I asked him how in his opinion I was doing for this part of my journey and he just shook his head and said that I was not "typical". In other words, I should be a lot worse off.  He could not believe that I really have no pain, was walking almost normally, and had pretty good flexibility.

At this point I have scheduled my 2 screws to be removed December 21st.  Right before Christmas!  (Ouch!).  He says to be prepared to be off of my feet for two weeks!  I'd like to think that a couple of days of swelling and soreness and I am back to normal activity.  We shall see. I am opting for the Knee Block and twilight vs. being fully under.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad for you. I am no where near back to "normal" but I have noticed a definite lessening of pain. Glad to hear you are atypical and so far along on your healing journey. What a relief for you and your family.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen,

    I hit my plateau at four months and got a bit discouraged. Changes came very slowly. It wasn't until I hit six months (beginning of November), that I started to feel better. I felt for the first time I was still healing and moving in the right direction. I am now walking in bare feet and wearing cheap $1.49 slippers at home. I can push off normally with by bad foot. I am not going to try to run long distances, but I can run up the stairs, run to catch a bus, or run to cross a busy street with confidence. My hip, knees and ankle are hurting less now, because my gait is getting better.

    I'm also scheduled to remove my hardware in January. My surgeon says it will feel like a a cut, but nowhere near the first surgery.

    Hang in there. It is still VERY early for you and you have a lot of healing left. My surgeon and PT both told me the same thing at four months, but I never believed them and let my anxiety get the better of me. It really does take that long. Looking back, I wasted so much energy worrying. I am not 100%, but I am feeling a lot better now than two months ago. You will too. Cheers, and enjoy the coming Christmas and New Year in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sissie and Nucklehead - thanks for the kind comments and words of encouragement! Hope you both continue to improve on your healing journey as well - and do have a wonderful holiday season. My main focus now besides my foot is to lose some weight - sometime after I started to get back into the Gym my weight started to creep up instead of down! I attribute some of this to re-gaining lost muscle mass. I want to get this under control before the holidays! Glenn

    ReplyDelete