Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Christ of the Abyss

Ever since I was a little kid I have dreamt of seeing the famous statue of Christ located in the John Pennekamp coral reef state park.  I have been scuba and snorkeling the Florida Keys reefs since 1988.  Last week, I finally dove the reef - Dry Rocks - where the statue is located.  (That is me reaching out to his hand)  Dry Rocks, part of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, and within the John Pennekamp park is about 3 miles out from land.  The statue is in about 25 feet of water.  The statue was a gift from Emilo Cressi - a famous dive gear manufacturer.

 "....This submerged bronze statue of Jesus, of which the original is located in the Mediterranean Sea off San Fruttuoso between Camogli and Portofino on the Italian Riviera. It was placed in the water on 22 August 1954 at approximately 17 metres depth, and stands c. 2.5 metres tall. Various other casts of the statue are located in other places worldwide, both underwater and in churches and museums.
The sculpture was created by Guido Galletti after an idea of Italian diver Duilio Marcante. The statue was placed near the spot where Dario Gonzatti died in 1947. He was the first Italian to use SCUBA gear. It depicts Christ in a pose offering a blessing of peace. His hands and head are raised toward the surface (or the sky, when positioned above water)..."  -- (this from Wikipedia.)

I met all of my goals while in the keys - I dove, I kayaked, I spend time with family, and generally did nothing but enjoy the beauty of these enchanted islands.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Glen,

    I just came back from a family fishing trip off the rocks on the beach near a small town on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It was my first time fishing. Man was it difficult to catch anything along the shoreline. I now wish I had a boat so I can catch the big fish. I also now understand your love of the sea. Sounds like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nucklehead! Sounds like fun. So west coast of the island put you squarely in the cold Pacific. That area reminds me of King Crab Fishing! We did have a great trip. How is the 'foot' treating you?

    G

    ReplyDelete