Thursday, March 1, 2012

8 Months!

Hello Lisfranc world.  I just passed 8 months since my injury.  Life moves on.  I hardly notice my injury these days.  My foot is still a little stiff when I first get out of bed - but that's about it.  No pain, no swelling, and pretty much full mobility.  No limp.  In fact - I hit a milestone in the GYM the other day.  I got on the treadmill - instead of my routine elliptical.  I was able to jog a fair distance!  This is the first time since before my injury.  Hard to believe - but I STILL have one small scab left on my foot from the removal of my hardware in December.  This was my problem wound.  But I would say it's totally healed.  Since my last post - a good friend broke her neck skiing (she is OK in a neck brace for 11 weeks - ugh!), and my son broke his arm in Wrestling practice - of course it was his writing hand!  Going to the DR to watch him get his cast on of course brought back bad memories.   It is amazing though to see how quickly young kids get on though with broken bones - not like "old" me.

I fretted a-lot about the size of my bad foot over the past months.  I am pleased to write that the 2 seem to be about the same size - putting on dress shoes is not the chore it used to be...  So there is hope for all you folks who think you will have to wear 2 size shoes the rest of your life.

Happy Spring!  I hope everybody is coping - no matter where you are in your journey.   Remember - It will pass.  You may not feel like it will pass - but eventually, it will pass.

G

4 comments:

  1. You give me hope! I have linked your blog to my own recovery blog and reading your updates in recent months have really made me realize my own concerns are the same as yours and others. And that what I'm going thru is the norm for the most part. Thanks so much for your updates. Happy healing to all of us Lisfrancer's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Statia! Thanks for commenting! It has been awhile since I have had comments - and I love to hear from new folks! I read your blog - wow - brings back memories -can't say pleasant ones! But you are making progress and it is amazing how similar our progressions can be based on my read of many blogs. Keep at it. I figure at this point I am updating monthly - and then on my 1 year mark I will take some pics and post along with my final reflections on how this whole ordeal has changed me. If it has not yet, it will - I will never walk unaware of my steps again. BTW - great detail and picture postings. There are many people that will find that helpful.

      Glenn

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing. I am still in "soft" tennis shoes. I had a scare with a misstep off a 4 inch high step. Actually barely caught myself, but all of my weight was on the recovering part of my foot. It felt like the beginning break -- just not as bad. So, though I had had my last visit to my doctor, he said I could contact him at any time. I did. By the time I saw him the pain was gone (it did last a few weeks. I waited awhile to call the doctor. I kept hoping it would go away. I could hardly walk for a few days, like I said, scary). So as of Tuesday, Feb. 28, my foot feels pretty good. My doctor said it was normal for someone with a positive outcome to come in after the first post op injury.He gave me an appliance to use should that particular pain returns.
    Overall things are improving. The constant, continual hurting is gone. Standing still for long periods of time makes it sore, but bearable. I rarely take anything for pain. My doctor said I could do anything I wanted. BTW my hardware is pretty intense -- two plates and eight screws. And I had to have a bone graph, which does slow down recovery. I am happy to say I cannot predict the weather with my foot, cold and damp doesn't seem to be a problem. It just has taken so darn long to get back to semi-normal. When I look back, though I see what a huge difference a year makes. And I feel blessed by the small milestones. This weekend my daughter and I are going on our first hike (okay, more like walk or stroll :) We will see how it goes.
    My best to you, Glenn. And I look forward to visiting Statia's site.
    Again, I appreciate your updates.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sissie - it sounds like you are progressing along. I hope you had a good hike with your daughter and I hope that you actually were surprised at how much more you can do - with time... Keep pushing and getting outside! It's good for the body and soul! Thanks for still reading my blog - I know the updates are fewer but I still check it from time to time.... Glenn

    ReplyDelete